Some people don’t need much of an excuse to stay home from church. If it even looks like it might rain, they don’t wait to risk getting a little wet.
The hymnwriter Frances Havergal gave several reasons for attending church – especially on rainy days.
- God has blessed the Lord’s Day, making no exceptions for stormy days.
- I expect my minister to be there. I would be surprised if he stayed at home because of the weather.
- I might lose out on the prayers and the sermon that would have done me great good.
- For important business, rain doesn’t keep me home; and church is, in God’s sight, very important.
- Bad weather … will prove how much I love Christ. True love rarely fails to keep an appointment.
- Those who stay home from church because it’s rainy frequently miss on fair Sundays too. I must not take one step in that direction.
- Christ said that “where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them” (Matthew 18:20).
- I don’t know how many more Sundays God may give me. It would be poor preparation for my first Sunday in heaven to have slighted my last one on earth.
Enough said! – Paul R. Van Gorder
How strange for any member
To think that he or she
Can stay away from worship
And a worthy member be. – Anon
If absence makes the heart grow fonder, how some people must love church!
- January 26, 1992, Our Daily Bread